top_PineHillOrchards.jpg

The Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum (www.sftm.org) has been awarded a $27,500 grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Facilities Fund. The money will be matched by funds raised by the museum for its proposed two-stall fire-resistant car barn. "We want a safer and more secure place to store our pride and joy, trolley car No. 10" said SFTM President Sam Bartlett. "We will sleep better at night if we can keep this 117-year-old wooden car in a metal building." he added. No 10 was built in 1896 and was used on the Shelburne Falls and Colrain Street Railway from 1896 to 1927, when it was moved to a farm. In 1991 the museum was formed to restore the trolley car, and completed that project in 1999.Once the car barn is complete, the museum will be able to accept its next restoration project, Fitchburg and Leominster Street Railway No. 60, built in 1904. "The current owners want No. 60 to be kept in a safe place, so it can be restored for future generations to appreciate. The new carbarn will have extra room in one stall to allow us to restore the car." Bartlett explained.

With this grant, the museum has enough money to make visible progress on the carbarn. So far they have completed most of the planning and permitting work, and have collected the needed track material for the tracks leading to the car barn. Additional donations of funds or services and volunteers are always appreciated, see www.sftm.org for more details.

Take a fifteen minute ride back in time on the beautifully restored trolley No. 10. Built in 1896 and restored in 1999, this 116-year-old trolley carried freight and passengers on tracks between Shelburne Falls and Colrain until 1927. This wooden, electrically-powered car crossed the Deerfield River on a concrete bridge that is now known as the Bridge of Flowers.

The museum's newly remodeled Visitors Center has pictures of the bridge and other local scenes in its trolley days, a display of the restoration process that brought this rare car back to life, a Kids Corner with wooden and electric toy trains and the TrolleyShop store with books, magazines and gift items.

The museum also features a caboose that can be explored, and an old-fashioned pump car that is often available for rides. The museum is operated by volunteers and is open every weekend and holidays from 11am to 5pm, from Memorial Day weekend to the end of October. Additionally, in July and August, the museum will be open from 1pm to 5pm on Mondays. The museum may be open by chance at other times and special arrangements can be made for field trips or parties. Tickets are $4.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 6-12 and free for kids 5 and under.

14 Depot Street, near Salmon Falls Artisans Showroom, Shelburne Falls MA 413-625-9443 www.sftm.org

For the Mass CFF press release, see
http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/facilities/facilities_news/june13_re
lease.htm

For a listing of all Mass CFF grantees, see
http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/facilities/facilities_fundinglist.htm.

Join Our Mailing List

Join the Business Association

Download our Member Brochure.
Outside Inside

You will soon be able to join online. Until then, call us and we can help you get started. 413-625-2526

The Greater SFABA Promotes Our Region with ShelburneFalls.com

SF dot com thumbnail

The face of our region is www.shelburnefalls.com . This website is supported entirely by our business association.